Choosing wisely: where to go for your child’s health problem
The Montreal Children’s Hospital’s Emergency Department (ED) is there for you when your child is very sick and in need of urgent medical treatment. But it’s hard to provide the best possible care when families come to the ED for reasons that are less urgent. We’re asking for your collaboration to ensure that the ED remains available to ensure the Emergency Department is reserved for the urgent treatment of children whose conditions must be addressed immediately.
If your child is not seriously ill, you may seek medical advice in the following ways:
- Get in touch with your pediatrician or your family doctor. If you don’t have a family doctor, use the Quebec Family Doctor Finder to look for one.
- Call Info-Santé 8-1-1 on your phone any time. Nurses are available 24/7 to answer questions or concerns regarding your child’s health.
- Head to The Children’s Clinic (514-228-4444) located right next to the Montreal Children’s Hospital or a network clinic located near you. Consult this comprehensive list to find your nearest network clinic here. Network clinics have flexible opening hours, are open 365 days a year and can treat ailments like fevers and cold or flu symptoms. They also have radiology and laboratory testing services available on site. Consult a clinic before heading to the Emergency Department for a non-urgent health problem (e.g.: ear ache, flu symptoms, gastroenteritis and fever in children over 3 months old). Please call the clinic beforehand to inquire about an appointment before hand.
Everyone has a role to play in managing the long waits in the Emergency Department. When your child is ill please consider consulting these other resources before bringing your child to the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
Not sure whether it's a cold or the flu?
Use the guidelines in this table to help make the best decision for you and your loved ones.
Seasonal flu vaccination clinic for our patients with chronic illnesses
Patients, along with their family members, may get their seasonal flu vaccinations while at the hospital starting Monday, October 24th until December 9th from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m (closed on weekends). No appointments are required.
- Location: commercial space #2, block A, beside main entrance level RC in the Montreal Children's Hospital at the Glen site
- Hours of operation: Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Closed for lunch between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.)
- Who should get the vaccine: patients followed at the Montreal Children’s Hospital for chronic diseases as well as their family members are urged to get their flu vaccine. The vaccine is also available for patients and family members who do not have chronic illnesses.
This vaccination clinic is operated by nurses from the MUHC Vaccine Study Centre, located in Pierrefonds, Qc.
For more information on the seasonal flu vaccination clinic, please email email@example.com.