COVID-19 : ENDOCRINOLOGY CLINIC CANCELLATIONS AND RETURN TO SCHOOL :
Due to Covid-19, the endocrinology clinics up until May 11, 2020 are cancelled. All the patients who have appointments until May 11 will be contacted and will have a telephone appointment with an endocrinologist. For questions about return to school , please see the guideline that follows.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 UPDATE
The COVID-19 pandemic requires all of us to be mindful of our hospital resources. If your child has a clinic appointment, the doctor will call you on the day of the scheduled appointment or during that week. There are no appointments four our patients scheduled in person at the hospital at this time. All insulin pump teachings are cancelled until further notice. They will be rescheduled once the situation is more stable.
We have received a lot of questions about COVID-19 and returning to school or daycare. What we know from the research is:
- Children with diabetes do not seem to be at higher risk of getting infected with coronavirus.
- However, everyone, including children, should wash their hands often and respect social distancing.
- Children who are sick seem to have less severe symptoms than adults. If your child is sick, follow sick day management guidelines (adjust insulin, check ketones). Contact the diabetes team as needed.
The decision to return to school or daycare is a personal choice of parents based on comfort level and health of other household members.
Prescription renewals can be sent by fax from your pharmacy to our clinic 514-412-4264.
If you need help with insulin adjustment you can:
- Contact the diabetes nurses by phone (22860) or email all 3 diabetes nurses: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Provide 1 week of blood sugars and indicate the rapid insulin scales and the long-acting insulin dose.
- Download the continuous blood glucose monitor and/or the insulin pump.
For EMERGENCIES, please contact the pediatric diabetes doctor on call at 514-412-4400 extension: 53333.
More information can be found here (English only):
Phone : Diabetes nurses: 514-412-4400 ext. 22860, Diabetes nutritionist: 514-412-4400 ext. 22348
Fax : 514-412-4209