The Montreal Children’s Hospital at the Glen site
The Montreal Children’s Hospital’s transition to the Glen has been carefully thought out. We’ve built facility where patients can receive the most advanced medical care and where research and teaching are integrated into all our activities.
We consider our values - caring, collaboration, support, innovation, passion and family-focused care – to be our most priceless commodity and each and every person who works at The Children’s will instinctively and effortlessly transport these values to our new facility.
State-of-the-art care for your child
The new Montreal Children's Hospital is taking shape based on the needs of its young patients:
- 154 single patient rooms will help reduce the spread of infection, while parents will have a space to keep their children company both day and night;
- As much as possible, care will come to the children rather than making families travel throughout the hospital to access different services;
- 6 state-of-the-art operating rooms designed especially for children and 6 intervention rooms to maximize the amount of patient care we can provide;
- Our new pediatric emergency department will be twice as big as our current facility;
- A neonatal intensive care unit located next door to the birthing centre so that sick newborns get the care they need a quickly as possible. The space also includes dedicated rooms for multiples, allowing twins and triplets to stay together;
- Our young patients who reach adulthood will be able to make a seamless transition from pediatric care to adult care, meaning less worry about moving to a new hospital or getting used to a new health team.
A child-friendly environment
Though we’re dedicated to providing exceptional pediatric medicine, the new Children’s Hospital hasn’t forgotten that its patients are still kids:
- Joyful colours and soothing materials will help reduce the stress of being in the hospital. When patients have to go for medical imaging exams, colourful ceiling decorations will make the space inviting and interactive;
- Special resources, such as a modern and spacious Family Resource Centre, which will include a family conference room, a business centre complete with internet access, printing and faxing services and Wi-Fi, as well as a more complete consumer health library. Other perks include skylights, soothing and relaxing design, and proximity to elevators, main entrance, our Child Life department and ambulatory clinics;
- Playrooms and an outdoor playground are available for kids to enjoy;
- Each private room comes with a flat screen television and entertainment packages.
Child Life Specialists are along for the move as well
Our current Child Life Specialists will remain a very important part of the hospital experience at our new home. Child Life Specialists are trained professionals with backgrounds in child development, education and related fields. In addition to play, they use a variety of educational and creative techniques to help improve the quality of life for children and their families who are dealing with a healthcare experience. They will continue to organize movie nights, their pet therapy program and the cooking program, among other activities, at our new home at the Glen site.
Innovation and research
The Montreal Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in the fields of cardiology, neurology, plastic surgery, gastroenterology, otolaryngology and many others. Our spirit of innovation will continue and flourish at the Glen site particularly as we inaugurate the Centre for Innovative Medicine (CIM), a multi-purpose unit where patients and their families can participate in clinical research, including clinical trials. When in full operation, it will be the largest dedicated academic clinical research centre in Canada.