Care at home after a herniography, hydrocelectomy, or an orchidopexy
- Under 4 years old: no restriction but close supervision;
- 4-10 years old: no bicycle, gym or sports for 2 weeks;
- Over 10 years old: no bicycle, gym or sports for 4-6 weeks;
- no competitive sports for 2 months.
May go back to school after 3-5 days.
No special wound care. Keep the area dry and clean. Remove the dressing at home as instructed by the surgeon (usually one week after the surgery).
- Give water, apple juice, popsicle, flat Ginger ale or Jell-O for one to two hours.
- If tolerated, proceed with a soft diet such as soup, yogourt, ice cream and cereal.
- Tomorrow, he may be given a normal diet.
Parents please note
Thao Le, N. & Julie Drolet, N. - Preoperative Assessment Clinic
Post-anesthesia Care Unit
7C Surgical Unit