Care at home after an otoplasty
- Quiet activities today with close supervision.
- No gym or sports for 10 days.
- Starting tomorrow, tub baths may be given while keeping the dressing dry and clean, until the next appointment with the doctor.
- Do not rub the ears.
- Keep the dressing on until the appointment with the surgeon. As needed, reinforced the dressing as instructed by the nurse in the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit.
- If the dressing falls off call the surgeon.
For pain, give Acetaminophen (Tylenol or Tempra) every 4 hours if needed.
- Give water, apple juice, popsicle, flat Ginger ale or Jell-O for one to two hours.
- If tolerated, proceed with a soft diet such as soup, yogourt, ice cream, and cereal.
- Tomorrow, he/she may be given a normal diet.
Parents please note
If you are concerned, please call the Montreal Children’s Hospital at 514-412-4400 and ask for the physician on call, or come to the emergency room of the hospital.
Thao Le, N. & Julie Drolet, N. - Preoperative Assessment Clinic
Post-anesthesia Care Unit
7C Surgical Unit