A button battery is the small lithium round battery found in watches, hearing aids, remote car starters, toys, musical books, LED flashlights and more. The batteries are shiny, round and enticing to young children who may stick them in their nose, ears or mouth. This is extremely dangerous. If the lithium battery is swallowed, it erodes and causes serious tissue damage. Immediate medical attention is vital.
Choking, suffocation, and strangulation cause serious unintentional injuries. The majority of these injuries occur in the home environment. Parents can use the following tips to prevent these injuries from happening.
Every year, in Quebec, hundreds of children are unintentionally poisonned. If you suspect your child has ingested any poisonous product, contact the Quebec poison control centre immediately 1-800-463-5060. Bring your child to a pediatric trauma emergency room with a sample of what they drank or ate and when.