Candles and Fireplaces

Flashlights and other lights generated by batteries are much safer than candles. But if you use them, make sure to follow these simple safety tips.



  • Keep lit candles away from items that can easily catch fire and in the path of a draft, which can carry the flame.
  • Place lit candles on a heat resistant surface, in sturdy holders. Make sure candle holders are non-combustible and are big enough to hold the wax.
  • Avoid carrying lit candles. 
  • Keep lit candles in places where they cannot be knocked over. Use lit candles only with constant adult supervision 
  • Keep all matches and lighters up high and out of sight and out of reach of your child, preferably in a locked cabinet.
  • Put out the flame when leaving the room or going to sleep.
  • The best way to extinguish a candle is to use a candlesnuffer.


The temperature of the glass panels in front of the fireplace can get very hot and cause severe burns within seconds of contact. After the fire is turned off, the glass panels can stay very hot for up to 45 minutes.

Consider these safety tips around fireplaces to prevent burns to your child:

Consider these safety tips around fireplaces to prevent burns to your child:

  • Keep your child away from the fireplace and never leave your child unattended.
  • Install a safety screen or hearth gate in front of the fireplace glass panels.
Reviewed by Trauma specialists at the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
Last updated: July 2013, October 2015


Phone : 514-412-4400 ext. 23310

Fax : 514-412-4254

514-412-4499, Emergency Department (for patient transfer) / 514-412-4399 (fax)