Fractured teeth

If your child has a broken tooth, refer to the following guidelines:

  • If you have the fractured piece, keep it.The dentist may glue it back.
  • Call the Dental Department or send the patient to an emergency department.       


  • If it is red or pink at the site of the fracture and the child is in pain.
  • This tooth needs immediate protection. Otherwise the pulp will be contaminated.
  • Call the dentist, our Dental Department or send the patient to an emergency department.


  • If you cannot find the fragment.
  • There are lacerations in the soft tissues.
  • The fragment might be there.
  • Call the Dentist. The dentist will order an X-Ray and recover the fragment. 
Reviewed by Trauma specialists at the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
Last updated: August 2013, November 2015


Room number : 1040 Atwater, suite W-3
To make an appointment : 514-412-4479
Fax : 514-412-4369


Phone : 514-412-4400 ext. 23310

Fax : 514-412-4254

514-412-4499, Emergency Department (for patient transfer) / 514-412-4399 (fax)