If your child has a broken tooth, refer to the following guidelines:
- If you have the fractured piece, keep it.The dentist may glue it back.
- Call the Dental Department or send the patient to an emergency department.
- If it is red or pink at the site of the fracture and the child is in pain.
- This tooth needs immediate protection. Otherwise the pulp will be contaminated.
- Call the dentist, our Dental Department or send the patient to an emergency department.
- If you cannot find the fragment.
- There are lacerations in the soft tissues.
- The fragment might be there.
- Call the Dentist. The dentist will order an X-Ray and recover the fragment.
Reviewed by Trauma specialists at the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
Last updated: August 2013, November 2015