When you first see lightning, follow these safety tips immediately to prevent serious injuries.
- Avoid high places, metal, water, and standing near trees.
- Seek shelter in a house or an enclosed motor vehicle.
- Stay away from windows and doors
- Turn off and unplug small appliances, power tools, computers and television sets
- Avoid bathing or showering as the plumbing system is a conductive pathway for electrical currents.
- Avoid using telephones and electrical appliances as they are conductive pathways for electrical currents.
Reviewed by Trauma specialists at the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
Last updated: July 2013, january 2016