Wheeled activities for babies and toddlers (bicycle carriers, trailers and tricycles)
Here are a few tips to stay safe outdoors with your toddler.
- Your child must be over 1 year old to use a bicycle carrier or a bicycle trailer.
- Make sure that your child’s head and neck control is well developed in order to put on a helmet.
- Make sure that your child is properly restrained and wearing a helmet. Wear a helmet yourself.
- Ride on designated bicycle paths only: Bicycle trailers have little suspension therefore you should ride on a smooth surface.
- Make sure your toddler wears a properly fitting helmet once he/she is ready to ride a tricycle. Knee and elbow pads can provide additional protection.
- Mount a flag to the back of the bicycle trailer so that it is more visible to drivers, other cyclists and pedestrians.
Reviewed by Trauma specialists at the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
Last updated: July 2013, January 2016