Children’s teams carry out successful Code Orange response
On Monday, January 14, at 12:06 p.m. a Code Orange was called at the Montreal Children’s Hospital. This code is called when numerous people need urgent medical attention. A gas leak at a LaSalle elementary school caused over 40 children to feel ill. Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause cardiac issues and long-term neurological damage, and in severe cases can cause coma and even death.
By 1:15 p.m., Dr. Robert Barnes, Associate Director of Professional Services at the Montreal Children’s Hospital, was able to confirm in a press briefing that 12 patients were in stable condition and remained under observation in the Emergency department. Ten patients were transferred to Hôpital du Sacré-Coeur for treatment in hyperbaric chambers. At 4:00 p.m., once patients were no longer being brought to the Children’s Emergency Department by ambulance, the code was lifted.
The hospital’s response to the Code Orange was successful thanks to the many teams involved: everyone in the control centre and Emergency Department, the Children’s partners at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Hôpital du Sacré-Coeur, CHU Ste-Justine, and Urgences-Santé, as well as to the Code Orange teams at the Children’s who ensure frequent Code Orange simulations keep everyone ready for real-life situations.
For the most up-to-date and accurate information during a Code Orange, follow the Children’s on Twitter @hopitalChildren and at Facebook.com/lechildren.