Set the clocks ahead this weekend and check your smoke detector
- Make sure your smoke detector has the Underwriters' Laboratories of Canada (ULC) stamp of approval.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for proper installation and cleaning.
- Install at least one smoke detector on each floor of your house, including the basement. For added protection, you should also install a smoke detector outside each bedroom.
- Replace all smoke detectors after 10 years.
- Consider buying a combination smoke/carbon monoxide detector, which costs more money but is well worth it.
Make sure your smoke detector is working properly:
- Ideally, you should test each smoke detector in your house once a month. This makes sure the battery is properly connected and working, and that the alarm rings. Each smoke detector has a test button for this purpose.
- Buy a few extra batteries when you buy your detector so that you always have some on hand. It's easy to put this important, life-saving task on hold, but DON’T!
Keep your family safe, check your smoke alarm battery regularly. For more fire prevention tips, please click here.