FAQ - Frequently asked questions on volunteering
1. Why do I have to be 17 years old before I can volunteer at the Montreal Children’s Hospital?
Our hospital provides complex care to patients that are, at times, quite vulnerable. In order to provide the best care for children and their families, our volunteers must have a certain level of maturity so that their volunteering experience benefits them and the patients and families they meet.
2. I would l ike to volunteer but don't meet the age requirements of the hospital. Can I volunteer elsewhere until I turn 17?
We look forward to receiving your application once you have met the hospital’s age requirements. Until then, you can consider applying to the Volunteer Bureau of Montreal or t he MUHC adult hospital sites until you’re old enough to volunteer at the Children’s.
3. I am not bilingual (French and English). Can I still volunteer?
Bilingualism is important for safety reasons when interacting with young patients and their families. Hospitalization can be a very stressful experience, and being able to communicate in either English or French is important.
4. How long does the volunteer application process take?
From the time we receive your application, it can take up to six weeks.
Note: due to the high volume of applicants, not all candidates will be selected. Only those selected will be contacted.
5. I would like to bring my pet to visit the patients at the hospital. Can this be arranged?
There is a pet therapy program at the hospital, and Zoothérapie Québec is the organization responsible for the dogs that visit children at the hospital. Unfortunately, no other pets are allowed in the hospital.
6. Can I organize a corporate volunteering group visit to the hospital? Can I organize a hospital visit with my child who is under 17?
Due to issues surrounding patient safety, infection control, and confidentiality, we are not able to accommodate these types of requests.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Montreal Children’s Hospital.
We will be accepting completed applications as of February 18, 2019. Please ensure that all documents related to your application are completed and submitted to us in a timely manner. For more on how to apply, click here.
If you wish to volunteer for the summer program only, please ensure that your completed application is submitted to us by March 25, 2019 at the latest.