General clinic: patients are referred to us by other private practitioners who are unable or unwilling to provide treatment (i.e. due to the patient’s young age, problematic behaviour, mild disability, etc.). Some families whose children have been treated at our clinic prefer to entrust their other children (i.e. siblings) into our care as well.
Specialized clinics: these clinics have a two-fold advantage in that they cater not only to dental specialties in general, but also to pediatricdental specialties.
- Handicapping malocclusion clinic: certain malocclusions can have a negative impact on a patient’s chewing capability and quality of life.
- Clinic adjoined to the Shriners Hospital: more than a hundred children from the Shriners Hospital are managed at the clinic for dental and maxillofacial conditions caused by bone defects.
- Early childhood caries clinic: hundreds of children aged 8 months through 71 months suffer from this particularly virulent form of dental caries, and they are treated and monitored at our clinic.
- Mild sedation clinic: unique in Quebec, our clinic offers the possibility (when indicated) of treating children without using general anesthesia.
- Clinic for mentally disabled and autistic children: this clinic keeps expanding, because the families of these children have a harder time finding clinics that are willing to treat children with such needs.
Many of our patients come to us through the specialized clinics described above. However, the ER represents a significant portion of the department’s activities. We treat patients requiring emergency care for a wide range of conditions, including dental abscesses, tooth pain commonly due to cavities and/or dental trauma (athletic injuries, falls, impact injuries, etc.).