Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer : New Study
These study results reinforce the importance of taking action on childhood obesity. Staying slim and minimizing weight gain throughout your lifetime combined with an optimal diet and physical activity are important not just for avoiding obesity, but also to help reduce the risk of cancer.
Our children need to lead healthy active lives and following the study’s principal recommendations can help:
- Keep your child’s weight within normal range
- Cook and eat plenty of vegetables
- Cut down on red meat
- Limit the amount of salt used in food
- Try to meet nutritional needs through diet alone
- Make sure your child is active at least 30 minutes a day
- Breastfeeding has also been connected to children’s health and maintaining proper weight
The study is further evidence that we need to have effective and immediate measures to prevent and reverse the incidence of childhood obesity, something which can be achieved by a team effort from the health care community, the education system and communities.