Donation policies for gifts and toys
The Child Life Department at the Montreal Children’s Hospital helps children, youth and their families cope with the healthcare experience by offering developmentally-appropriate activities, opportunities for play, preparation for medical procedures and emotional support.
Hospitalized children and teenagers need toys and activities throughout the year. Toys and other items donated by the community help us provide recreational activities and celebrate special events.
In order to maintain patient safety and security, we kindly ask you to respect the following criteria when making donations:
- Due to infection control measures at the hospital, ONLY NEW ITEMS ARE ACCEPTED AS DONATIONS.
- All toys must be SAFE. Toys should be sturdy and free of any parts which may pinch a child’s fingers. Please avoid giving toys which can break easily and leave sharp edges, such as those made of glass or brittle plastic, and toys stuffed with small pellets or beans.
- We do NOT accept toys that promote aggression, i.e. toy weapons of any kind, and violent video games or movies.
- All craft materials such as markers, glue and paint must be non-toxic
- For ideas of what to donate to the hospital, please see the Toy and gift wish list.
We can only accept new and unwrapped gifts for infants, children and adolescents. Child Life staff sort gifts before giving them to our patients. There is no need to wrap the gifts ahead of time.
We also ask that you kindly deliver all holiday gifts before December 15. This allows time for staff to organize the gifts and make personalized suggestions for each patient.
Food gifts and holiday treats
Unfortunately, we cannot accept any food items as gifts since some children have food allergies or follow special diets. Small toys such as stickers, bubbles, toy gadgets, and pencils are ideal gifts for holidays such as Halloween and Easter.
Visits to donate gifts
Due to issues surrounding patient safety, infection control and confidentiality, we cannot accommodate requests to present gifts directly to patients.
All donations that meet the above criteria may be sent to:
Montreal Children’s Hospital
- Attn: Child Life Services
- Room B S1. 2736
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.: Reception desk at the mainentrance
Please leave your email address along with the donation so that we can acknowledge your gift. Thank you in advance for thinking of the children!